Influenced by his bourgeois mother's passion for fashion, the gentle Saint Laurent soon found the world of textiles a place of refuge- during his schoolboy days from the bullying of his classmates and later from the whole world. Shortly after his seventeeth birthday he proved his talent for the first time: in 1953 he received the first prize of the International Wool Secretariat for a sketch of a cocktail dress- and only a year later Christian Dior offered him a position in his house. He worked with Dior until his death in 1957, when he was promoted to chief designer and became an overnight star with his "trapeze line". Yves Saint Laurent released fashion from padded waists, bosoms and shoulders, yet still invoked the opulence of early Dior designs. For three years the "wunderkind of the Paris fashion scene" was in charge at Dior as artistic director, until in 1960 he was drafted for militaray service in Algeria. Following a series if nervous breakdowns and electric shock treatments, Yves Saint Laurent was discharged after only two months. Despite the brevity of his absence, he was unable to return to his former position as a artistic director. Marc Bohan remained in his position as chief designer at Dior. From then on, Saint Laurent, who weighed only ninety pounds on his return, was to numb his anxieties with medications, alcohol and drugs. And yet his greatest creative period still lay ahead. Together with his partner Pierre Bergé, he founded the fashion house of Yves Saint Laurent Couture and soon afterward invented the principle of commercial prêt-à-porter. His Nude Look creations in transparent fabrics caused scandals in the sixties. The newly founded fashion house achieved its breakthrough with Op-Art fashion: simply cut shift dresses, divided into blocks with uncompromisingly strong geometry. With his confirmed success, Saint Laurent turned fashion on its head. In 2002 Saint Laurent announced his retirement from fashion, living in seclusion in Paris- up to his death in 2008.
| Yves Saint Laurent |

9 comments:
Congratulations for this post, it was a good reading. I'll have to check the other ones from this serie.
Love your blog! Your list of designers is great and I love each and every one of them for different reasons. Great post!
http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/
Hello! Love your blog, would certainly come back for new posts. :) Thanks for your message on IFB, you are so sweet to think of me. You've got yourself a new follower and if you like my blog and would like to follow me in return, I would really appreciate it.
Mwah!
You are very skilled at blogging! Love the header image (absolutely UH-MAZING!) and i really like your writing style!!
Continue blogging,
Your blogger buddy,
Korlei From
(my blog)>
What a great idea to do a list of 30 designers, we look forward to reading them all. Thank you for contacting us via IFB!
I love Saint Laurent, he is such an amazing designer. Thank you for contacting us via IFB!
such a great post! I adore yves saint laurent :) looking forward to more designers! this is so informative!
xoxo
Fabulous post! I'm getting ready to do a post on YSL tomorrow (pictorial post) so I really enjoyed reading yours. Great Job!
www.kholaskloset.blogspot.com
Thanx for the message, and great blog, and writing. Good content often goes unnoticed these days. It's quite refreshing I must say. I'll gladly follow you. I have a lookbook as well: http://lookbook.nu/user/226685-Malcolm-T
twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/hommealamode
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Homme-a-la-Mode/129830147075403
bloglovin: http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/1877091/homme-a-la-mode#
Post a Comment